Just when I get used to all of the members of my household getting more than four hours of sleep, I take my daughter out shopping (so I can get some social interaction with adults) and everything goes to pot. She slept all day yesterday I think because the car was very soothing to her. She sleeps successfully in her car seat and stroller also. I did wake her twice for diaper changes and to eat. When we got home she continued to sleep, looking as sweet as she always does when in a deep sleep. Now? It's five-thirty something in the morning and she's fairly awake. Neither she or I slept much from midnight on I assume because she slept all day. I feel guilty about this, of course. Afterall, if I didn't feel guilty about something each day, I'd feel like a bad parent. Anyway, her schedule was thrown off by my need for stepping out into the "real world" to do some shopping with a friend. I don't know how to keep this from happening. Or is it normal for a nearly-six-week-old to sleep all day while being out and about? Is she overstimulated by an adult environment?
So here I am. Awake and rediscovering sleep deprivation as I look at the clock and realize I have to be up in an hour anyway. I hope a nap is in order later today.
So here I am. Awake and rediscovering sleep deprivation as I look at the clock and realize I have to be up in an hour anyway. I hope a nap is in order later today.

3 Comments:
All my child raising friends over here on the other coast say pretty much the same thing, so you are on the right track.
I can't speak from personal experience--since my little one doesn't seem to want to join us on the outside.
But the books make it sound like the sleep stuff is a two-steps-forward one-step-back sort of deal. And definitely kind of a push-pull thing to make it work for both you and baby.
And I do think it is important to make sure you're not sacrificing too much in that balancing act--you need to take care of yourself and get that outside social interaction.
A lot of advice from someone who knows next to nothing...sorry.
JuliaG
Jessi
Thanks for commenting. It's helpful to know.
Julia G - you don't know next to nothing and your little guy will come out. I hope soon!
Post a Comment
<< Home