I think three weeks into handling a baby I can begin to write some reviews of the baby products we have. And if that is terribly unexciting, I apologize. Once again,I blame a sleep defecit.
If I were a good blogger I'd throwing down the links in this post like crazy. But I'm lazy and I'm typing this with one hand which makes linking stuff more difficult than usual.
I was quite excited about something called "My Brest Friend" wearable nursing pillow. All the Le Leche League people praised it and because of the way the women at BabiesRUs talked it up, one would think they receive kick backs for selling it. Anyway, I don't think it is gold or anything. I tried using it at home and I think because of the way it's designed or because of the firmness, it sat right against my incision. Ow. Casey sent me a Boppy which my mother in law brought to the hospital and I, and every visitor we had, fell in love with it. It's sort of a bit floppy because it's been carted around and such, but it's more comfortable and does the trick ok. In the beginning, when her little head was more delicate I needed to use a pillow and the Boppy to achieve breastfeeding success, but that is a small detail.
To recap: boo to the Brest Friend and yay to the Boppy. (I'm not joking about these names either -- some yahoo though these were good product names).
Receiving blankets: I thought we might have too many of these and I actually returned a pack of 4 of them. I regret doing that now as we use them for everything!
Washable nursing pads: I am not very happy with these. They just don't seem to stay in very well so I've switched to the disposable ones by Medela which are quite soft. Of course, I often put them sticky side toward the nipple which is unfortunate especially in the wee hours of the morning after little to zero sleep.
Although our dear one is only 3 weeks old, we sometimes place her on her Gymini floor mat to stare up at the colorful toys. She seems to really like it and it gives me a chance to run to the bathroom if I need to.
The Baby Papasan so far is a godsend too. I know many, many babies don't like them and when she's older she might protest it, but for now she's fairly happy in it for about fifteen minutes.
I was quite excited to use the sling (the Ultimate Baby Wrap), but I just can't get it to work. I don't know if I'm too short (there is alot of material there) or if I'm still too sore from the surgery since it falls right on my incision, or if I'm not coordinated enough to figure it out. I'm really disappointed about this because I really wanted to be able to use it to take a quick walk outside and see the light of day for Pete's sake. I am not going to give up on it since it was an expensive gift, and should work when she's bigger.
The same for the Baby Bjorn we bought. I tried to put her in it on Friday when the sun was shining and I was desperate for a jaunt outdoors. She nearly slipped through the sides. It is recommended for bigger babies so this might also be a product I rave about when she's bigger than a peanut.
In other news, she outgrew one of her sleepers and has grown into a few sleepers marked "0-3 months". Yikes. I'm not sure I'm ready for her to be so big yet. I can't believe she's already three weeks old!
If I were a good blogger I'd throwing down the links in this post like crazy. But I'm lazy and I'm typing this with one hand which makes linking stuff more difficult than usual.
I was quite excited about something called "My Brest Friend" wearable nursing pillow. All the Le Leche League people praised it and because of the way the women at BabiesRUs talked it up, one would think they receive kick backs for selling it. Anyway, I don't think it is gold or anything. I tried using it at home and I think because of the way it's designed or because of the firmness, it sat right against my incision. Ow. Casey sent me a Boppy which my mother in law brought to the hospital and I, and every visitor we had, fell in love with it. It's sort of a bit floppy because it's been carted around and such, but it's more comfortable and does the trick ok. In the beginning, when her little head was more delicate I needed to use a pillow and the Boppy to achieve breastfeeding success, but that is a small detail.
To recap: boo to the Brest Friend and yay to the Boppy. (I'm not joking about these names either -- some yahoo though these were good product names).
Receiving blankets: I thought we might have too many of these and I actually returned a pack of 4 of them. I regret doing that now as we use them for everything!
Washable nursing pads: I am not very happy with these. They just don't seem to stay in very well so I've switched to the disposable ones by Medela which are quite soft. Of course, I often put them sticky side toward the nipple which is unfortunate especially in the wee hours of the morning after little to zero sleep.
Although our dear one is only 3 weeks old, we sometimes place her on her Gymini floor mat to stare up at the colorful toys. She seems to really like it and it gives me a chance to run to the bathroom if I need to.
The Baby Papasan so far is a godsend too. I know many, many babies don't like them and when she's older she might protest it, but for now she's fairly happy in it for about fifteen minutes.
I was quite excited to use the sling (the Ultimate Baby Wrap), but I just can't get it to work. I don't know if I'm too short (there is alot of material there) or if I'm still too sore from the surgery since it falls right on my incision, or if I'm not coordinated enough to figure it out. I'm really disappointed about this because I really wanted to be able to use it to take a quick walk outside and see the light of day for Pete's sake. I am not going to give up on it since it was an expensive gift, and should work when she's bigger.
The same for the Baby Bjorn we bought. I tried to put her in it on Friday when the sun was shining and I was desperate for a jaunt outdoors. She nearly slipped through the sides. It is recommended for bigger babies so this might also be a product I rave about when she's bigger than a peanut.
In other news, she outgrew one of her sleepers and has grown into a few sleepers marked "0-3 months". Yikes. I'm not sure I'm ready for her to be so big yet. I can't believe she's already three weeks old!

2 Comments:
Once the baby gets a little bigger the boppy will become a waste of $$ and the brest friend pillow will make more sense! I find that I could never really get my baby in a good position using the boppy. I actually use a regular pillow to nurse her, now. Can't afford to buy another nursing pillow. I love slings, though! I had a pocket (kangarookorner.com) that I loved until my daughter got too big for the belly-to-belly carry and I'm waiting for a (babyhawk.com) mei tai to arrive! The pocket and mei tai can be pricey, but I hear good things about ring slings and they can be gotten cheaply! GL! Sounds like you have a great baby and are enjoying her!
Kim
Enjoy the baby time. They grow so fast. My baby is all grown up and even though I can remember those days when she was a wee one, they do seem so long ago.
Back then I used washclothes for breast pads, there were no boppies fo I used a pillow and no slings or backpacks so the kid got carried.
Note: Daughter is 29 years old. Maybe I am older than I feel?
Post a Comment
<< Home