Monday, May 15, 2006

When I'm up at the wee hours of the morning nursing Sydney I always think of what I deem to be clever blogging topics. However, I forget them by the next morning and that is why I give you my Mother's Day and 6 Week Post Partum Recap.
I went over to my mom's house on Friday and Saturday to hang out and celebrate Mother's Day. Mark was in Portland for a lacrosse game and a bachelor party so he didn't visit until Sunday morning.
It was a new experience to sleep in a different place with the baby. She insisted on sleeping with me on the couch both nights instead of in her travel crib/bassinet. I didn't get any sleep.
My mom made sure I ate alot and rested. I think her motive for wanting me to rest (which I could not do with all of the activity going on) was spending time with the baby. I changed very few diapers and only held her at night. My mom is loving being a grandma for sure.
Sunday we went over to my my in-laws for a late lunch where the Sydney/grandparent lovin' continued. I had developed a nice headache and was feeling the effects of very little sleep. We had a great time though and I opened my first Mother's Day gifts. It felt very strange to receive gifts and a big deal was made of my first Mother's Day. I appreciate the acknowledgement but I wasn't quite sure what to do about all of the attention.
This afternoon I had my six-week post-partum check up (at 5 weeks for some reason). My doc wanted to discuss contraception. I had to laugh and I told him that recovering from a C Section is great contraception! He sort of chuckled, but being male, I think he had more empathy for Mark than he did for me. Anyway, this contraception converstaion took place because he wanted to let me know I've been given the green light for "all physical activity" or, sex. Goody. You know how I love to overshare so let me say that I never thought I'd be able to go this long without sex and I also never thought I'd be uninterested in gettin' it on. We get to deal with the logistics of where we should reaquaint ourselves with a baby in such close proximity. And I think our first time getting reaquainted with each other will really be comical more than romantic. I have to admit I'm nervous about it.
The issue of sleep deprivation improves each week. Sydney is sleeping for longer stretches at a time and so am I. I feel more like my old self again instead of a weeping, tired, ugly, stretch mark-y, hormonal woman.
We've decided to give her a pacifier even after I read all of the opinions by Dr. Spears and the rest of the baby cultists. She had developed a habit of wanting to nurse all the time (about once an hour), but I could tell she didn't want any milk as she'd spit up most of the milk. I tried a pacifier thinking she'd want to comfort herself by sucking. After I did so the tummy aches, gas, spitting up, and frequent nursing sessions seemed to lessen and she seemed to be a happier baby. When she does nurse and she's hungry, she really goes to town causing me to believe that our choice in giving her a pacifier was a good one. Lately though I think she is more used to the pacifier than to me and I fear a boob strike is looming.
I'm sure I'll get some opinions here on the topic, but I don't really mind. We'll have to do what we think is best anyway.
I've tried the breast pump twice in the past two weeks and can't get it to work. I can hand express my milk when I'm engorged without a problem. Actually, I can hand express my milk even when I'm not engorged. I was hoping the breast pump would work and I could fill a few bottles while we are down in Portland for a wedding. Any suggestions for getting the pump to work will be appreciated.
I'm off to eat dinner and settle in for a long night now. Mark needs to get up early for work tomorrow and that means I'm on diaper duty and nursing duty tonight.
To thank you for reading this very informative and compelling post I give you a treat:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

all three of you are beautiful! she's so much bigger than she was three weeks ago... I suppose that is what happens to babies.

10:38 PM  
Blogger Maribeth said...

Hey you are looking great!
Don't fret about the pacifier. I used them with both of my girls, and each turned out fine. I sort of think that some babies need more sucking than others.
Happy Belated Mother's Day!!!

6:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you ever read this post by Dooce (from 6 months after Leta was born)?

http://www.dooce.com/archives/daily/09_22_2004.html

JuliaG

7:40 AM  
Blogger Swiftyjess said...

Julia
I did read that (I used to read dooce every day). I don't think we'll be reconvening the procedure for awhile. Not because of any physical pain, but I think, because of hormones. As I said in my post, I"m totally NOT INTO reconvening the procedure. A weird statement considering the procedure was a favorite past time of mine.

10:41 PM  
Blogger Swiftyjess said...

Jessi
I am not into spending $300 for a Medela. I might try renting one though. I have an electric breast pump which doesn't seem to work. The manual pump I have I haven't tried yet.
Both were hand me downs from someone who couldn't breastfeed and had no use for them so they are brand new.
And she can only go to sleep now if she has her paci. :-(

10:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a little late commenting but...
1. The binky is my baby's best friend :D
2. Pumping is a skill to be learned. It could be that you aren't "letting down" for the pump. I again refer you to Kellymom.com.
3. You guys look great!

Anonymous Kim

6:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home