My in-laws family and friends showered me with gifts on Saturday. This shower was more traditional than the shower my friends threw for me the week before. We had tea, cakes, scones (with clotted cream!YUM!), pound cake, little sandwiches. We played a few traditional shower games and also opened up gifts. Before the gift opening frenzy began, the hostess of the shower informed me that she had asked the guests of the party to write down their advice for me as a mom. She and others shared their advice to me aloud and of course, I cried a bit. I cried because the advice was sweet, but also because in the past few days it's really beginning to hit me that I'm going to become a mother. I still have no idea what I'm in for.
Anyway, one piece of advice was to create a ritual or tradition -- something Mark and I have already discussed. Since he isn't going to be able to feed our child until she takes a bottle, he is going to miss out on that piece of bonding. We discussed the idea of having him give the nightly baths and to read a story before bedtime. We know it can't happen every night and certainly not immediately, but our goal is facilitate a slow and calming bedtime ritual over the years.
I loved having a story read to me before I went to sleep. When I was a toddler I would choose between one
of two books. When I was older, my mom would read Grimm's Fairy Tales (as an adult those fairy tales seem a bit scary or gruesome, but I adored them at the time) or one of the Frog and Toad boooks. Between last weekends gifts and yesterday, our baby has quite the
library
started!
Also, we've received two interesting books for us to read: The Read-Aloud Handbook, and The Scientist in the Crib. I'll have plenty to read in the next few weeks.
At the shower last week, I opened up a hand knitted sweater, booties, and hat that my mother had made. She has always been talented at knitting and has created sweaters, blankets, hats, booties, scarves, and gloves. She can create these gems in what seems to me about ten minutes' time (what feels to her like forever I'm sure). The items she makes are not simple - there are patterns and multiple fibers involved and for years I've been telling her to sell her items at the local farmers market. Last year, she took a weaving class as a gift from my step-dad. Immediately, my mom fell in love with the art and so my step-dad purchased a loom for her as a gift. Often when I call to chat, she's in her "weaving room" and I have to leave a message. She is in love with her hobby and it's fun to hear her discuss her latest project. I might have known she was weaving something for the baby in addition to the handknitted gifts of last week. I guess I expected it although I knew she has a busy household to organize and deal with every day.
Sure enough as I was opening gifts I came across one from my mother. The card read, "With every throw of the shuttle a wish for health and happiness was heard". Immediately, I had tears in my eyes.
My mom's gift will truly stand apart as one of the most memorable and amazing gifts. I will treasure it forever.

Our baby now has a bassinet to sleep in! My step-grandfather lent us the bassinet he slept in as a baby. The bassinet has been passed down through his family for 4 generations and 18 children, including all of my siblings! I was pleased that he wished for me to use it (as I'm a step relation not a blood relation). My step-grandmother and my mom washed the white eyelet fabric and also chose new fabrics for the trim in lime green and pink. It's beautiful and now I'm excited and anxious to bring our baby home and watch her as she sleeps in her bassinet.
Needless to say, this weekend and past two weeks really, have been quite emotionally overwhelming for me. I have not put any of the baby gifts away. I almost fear doing so; it feels like it will decrease their magic. I know I really have to start getting the baby's half of the room organized though, because much to my bewilderment, I'm feels like I'm running out of time.
Anyway, one piece of advice was to create a ritual or tradition -- something Mark and I have already discussed. Since he isn't going to be able to feed our child until she takes a bottle, he is going to miss out on that piece of bonding. We discussed the idea of having him give the nightly baths and to read a story before bedtime. We know it can't happen every night and certainly not immediately, but our goal is facilitate a slow and calming bedtime ritual over the years.
I loved having a story read to me before I went to sleep. When I was a toddler I would choose between one
of two books. When I was older, my mom would read Grimm's Fairy Tales (as an adult those fairy tales seem a bit scary or gruesome, but I adored them at the time) or one of the Frog and Toad boooks. Between last weekends gifts and yesterday, our baby has quite the
library
started!
Also, we've received two interesting books for us to read: The Read-Aloud Handbook, and The Scientist in the Crib. I'll have plenty to read in the next few weeks.
At the shower last week, I opened up a hand knitted sweater, booties, and hat that my mother had made. She has always been talented at knitting and has created sweaters, blankets, hats, booties, scarves, and gloves. She can create these gems in what seems to me about ten minutes' time (what feels to her like forever I'm sure). The items she makes are not simple - there are patterns and multiple fibers involved and for years I've been telling her to sell her items at the local farmers market. Last year, she took a weaving class as a gift from my step-dad. Immediately, my mom fell in love with the art and so my step-dad purchased a loom for her as a gift. Often when I call to chat, she's in her "weaving room" and I have to leave a message. She is in love with her hobby and it's fun to hear her discuss her latest project. I might have known she was weaving something for the baby in addition to the handknitted gifts of last week. I guess I expected it although I knew she has a busy household to organize and deal with every day.
Sure enough as I was opening gifts I came across one from my mother. The card read, "With every throw of the shuttle a wish for health and happiness was heard". Immediately, I had tears in my eyes.
My mom's gift will truly stand apart as one of the most memorable and amazing gifts. I will treasure it forever.

Our baby now has a bassinet to sleep in! My step-grandfather lent us the bassinet he slept in as a baby. The bassinet has been passed down through his family for 4 generations and 18 children, including all of my siblings! I was pleased that he wished for me to use it (as I'm a step relation not a blood relation). My step-grandmother and my mom washed the white eyelet fabric and also chose new fabrics for the trim in lime green and pink. It's beautiful and now I'm excited and anxious to bring our baby home and watch her as she sleeps in her bassinet.
Needless to say, this weekend and past two weeks really, have been quite emotionally overwhelming for me. I have not put any of the baby gifts away. I almost fear doing so; it feels like it will decrease their magic. I know I really have to start getting the baby's half of the room organized though, because much to my bewilderment, I'm feels like I'm running out of time.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home