The maternity clothes saga continues as the baby's birth nears. I was hoping I'd be able to wear my clothes comfortably for the rest of my pregnancy. Then I began reading a suggested check list on things to pack at the hospital. The checklist suggests packing pajamas for the hospital and a nice pair of sweats for when I have visitors.
The third trimester "general purchases" checklist mentions transitional clothing, too. It didn't occur to me until I read over the list that I am going to need clothing after the baby is born that is not necessarily maternity by style or size. I won't be my "svelte" self post-delivery, but I (hopefully) will not be at my most pregnant stage either.
Not only that, but I have two baby showers coming up that I thought I'd want to look nice for.
Armed with my lists, Heather and I went to the mall. I couldn't justify spending money on one maternity dress to wear to the showers, so I'll have to come up with something at home. And I'm not very comfortable in my clothing (as I've mentioned) so I might just end up wearing my new velour sweats. I can get away with it being the mother-to-be, right?
After I purchased my hospital and transitional clothing, it occured to me that I might need to get a nursing bra. Some of the women on my pregnancy board suggested a sleep bra. They were affordable, but an equally perplexing purchase. How do I know what size to buy? If my milk comes in and all is successful in the breastfeeding world, will I need only one cup size larger or two? If I buy the sleep nursing bra will the breast pads fall out?
That brings me to think about other intimate apparel. Again, the women on my board suggested buying a few pairs of super large granny undies that I won't mind getting soiled. What with all of the blood and other stuff that will be leaking from me for weeks post-delivery I might not want to soil any of my "regular" undies. I didn't purchase anything, because the underwear issue is a confusing one. Again, what size should I buy? Should I buy them larger than usual so that the big mattress-sized maxi pads fit?
Anyway, a list of new things to think about.
The third trimester "general purchases" checklist mentions transitional clothing, too. It didn't occur to me until I read over the list that I am going to need clothing after the baby is born that is not necessarily maternity by style or size. I won't be my "svelte" self post-delivery, but I (hopefully) will not be at my most pregnant stage either.
Not only that, but I have two baby showers coming up that I thought I'd want to look nice for.
Armed with my lists, Heather and I went to the mall. I couldn't justify spending money on one maternity dress to wear to the showers, so I'll have to come up with something at home. And I'm not very comfortable in my clothing (as I've mentioned) so I might just end up wearing my new velour sweats. I can get away with it being the mother-to-be, right?
After I purchased my hospital and transitional clothing, it occured to me that I might need to get a nursing bra. Some of the women on my pregnancy board suggested a sleep bra. They were affordable, but an equally perplexing purchase. How do I know what size to buy? If my milk comes in and all is successful in the breastfeeding world, will I need only one cup size larger or two? If I buy the sleep nursing bra will the breast pads fall out?
That brings me to think about other intimate apparel. Again, the women on my board suggested buying a few pairs of super large granny undies that I won't mind getting soiled. What with all of the blood and other stuff that will be leaking from me for weeks post-delivery I might not want to soil any of my "regular" undies. I didn't purchase anything, because the underwear issue is a confusing one. Again, what size should I buy? Should I buy them larger than usual so that the big mattress-sized maxi pads fit?
Anyway, a list of new things to think about.

3 Comments:
Hi, I don't know if anyone has tried to answer your ques on nursing bras but I'll try...
I am nursing my 4.5 mo old and I've learned that the size your breasts are about now is the size nursing bra you'll need. Shortly after your milk comes in your breasts may become engorged but that stage passes and after 2 or 3 weeks the breasts will again become soft. So although it may seem that you will need an even larger size, you shouldn't. Also, try not to buy nursing bras with an underwire. They can contribute to blocked ducts (painful!). Also, I have heard that you shouldn't wear a bra to bed- I'm not really sure why. A good BFing site to check out is http://www.kellymom.com/ .
HTH! Kim
Kim
Thank you for your help. That is more information than I've been able to get on my own. It's been difficult to find nursing bras without an underwire but I will continue to look.
And the nursing bra I've researched for bed time has no underwire so it might be okay for sleeping.
Ack! I hadn't even thought about the underwear issues.
I did have to go buy some more maternity clothes this week...two pairs of my pants no longer fit me.
YPB
Post a Comment
<< Home