Questions and comments a preggo (that would be me) tires of hearing:
1) Can you feel him/her kick?
(no. Yes, I'm aware that I might feel her "any day now". I think about that alot, thanks for the reminder)
2) Go for the epidural (Proceed to tell me why)
3) Don't go for the epidural (Let me know of the woman your sister's neighboors cousin's barista knows that became paralyzed from the waist down)
4) My best friend, sister, mom had a labor that lasted _______ hours(insert incredibly long number here such as 68 or eleventy hundred)
5) Are you excited? (yes)
6) When are you going to have another? (I'm not done making the first!)
7) Is your mom excited to be a grandma? (yes)
8) Do you plan on breastfeeding? (Please ask this question while staring at my breasts)
9) Was he/she planned? (Please continue to talk with me about my sex life)
10) You're so tiny! (This is usually followed by - are you eating enough? Eat some protein! And I'm sure in a couple of months, this will evolve to "You're so big")
1) Can you feel him/her kick?
(no. Yes, I'm aware that I might feel her "any day now". I think about that alot, thanks for the reminder)
2) Go for the epidural (Proceed to tell me why)
3) Don't go for the epidural (Let me know of the woman your sister's neighboors cousin's barista knows that became paralyzed from the waist down)
4) My best friend, sister, mom had a labor that lasted _______ hours(insert incredibly long number here such as 68 or eleventy hundred)
5) Are you excited? (yes)
6) When are you going to have another? (I'm not done making the first!)
7) Is your mom excited to be a grandma? (yes)
8) Do you plan on breastfeeding? (Please ask this question while staring at my breasts)
9) Was he/she planned? (Please continue to talk with me about my sex life)
10) You're so tiny! (This is usually followed by - are you eating enough? Eat some protein! And I'm sure in a couple of months, this will evolve to "You're so big")

5 Comments:
Isn't it funny how being pregnant automatically makes you an open book :) As a rule of thumb, I never talk about my pregnancy or c-section experience unless really pushed. Everyone is so different. Also - advice doesn't stop, a baby is also an invite to ask and offer stupid questions/advice :) Just a warning.
I haven't gotten TOO much assvice on delivery and breastfeeding stuff. But essentially everyone asks me #9 (was it planned?). Totally weird to me, but I guess that it came as a surprise to a lot of people since we didn't tell anyone that we were trying.
YPB
Hannah,
You are smart not to talk about stuff. I don't mind telling people that I am comfortable telling. But for people to just start off conversations by asking me is a new and odd experience for me.
YPB,
How weird would it have been to tell people you were trying? We made that mistake of telling people we were trying (except our parents) and then every month we'd get a call or an email, "Any 'news'?"
Customers at work ask me if it was planned often. That is just odd - many of them don't even know my first name.
OK, so I will apologize for having asked any in the past and for possibly asking any in the future... if I accidentally do, it's not that I want to make you scream, it's just that I want to share in your experience and understand it, and sometimes those questions are the most obvious ones. I will try to stick to "how are you doing? what's on your mind?" and let you talk about whatever you want :):)
MoM,
I guess it depends on the day. I work in retail so I feel like the "regulars" view me as an open book more so than friends and family. And while it is nice to have people care about me, it's also strange to describe what is going on in my body when I'm just learning it myself.
I suppose though, it's similar to getting married -- all the questions leading up to the wedding day involve flower colors, bridesmaid dresses, band choices, etc...It's one of those things people want to know.
Post a Comment
<< Home