Incase anyone is wondering, we've decided to have our baby at a hospital. I know many people are very into the childbirth center, but in looking at the childbirth centers around here, I really felt a hospital is a better choice for us. First of all, the childbirth centers don't offer or allow pain controlling medications. I'm not opposed to an epidural or some other type of pain-numbing drug. Sure childbirth is natural, but so are muscle spasms and migraines and I don't know anyone who suffers from those without the use of medications. They may not choose medications first, but they may reach for that bottle toward the end.
Secondly, I like that the hospital offers rooms that the mom can labor, deliver, and recover in so that she's not carted around (unless she has a C section). The childbirth centers offer those rooms as well complete with candles burning, lavendar blossoms in a vase and a four-poster bed. I don't think I need a romantic atmosphere to have my baby.
(And also - I'm allergic to lavendar. Why does everyone in the altnerative health field think it's such a wonderful flower? As a massage therapist, I can recont several instances where clients thanked me for not stinking up the place with lavendar-scented oil).
One of the most controversial decisions we've made lately is to have people in the room with us other than the doctors and Mark. When Mark first began to think about the fact that I'd be squeezing a baby out of my vagina and that he might actually see that miracle take place, he was a bit squeamish. In relaying this piece of information to my mother she offered to be in the room with me and since she gave birth to me I figured it was okay to allow her. Then I thought more about whether that was such a good idea, but had already said she could join us, so I decided to look into a doula. I'm really happy we are going with one, especially if we choose one that has the understanding that I'll go natural as long as possible, but I reserve the right to opt out of the pain and get an epidural and whatnot.
By my count, that is 4 people for "team baby tomato" not including medical staff!
It seems to be a big issue on all of the pregnancy boards I lurk on. One woman even said she won't allow her husband to be there while she's pushing because he isn't there when she poops and both are private events. Others have said only the people that made the baby can bring it into this world. Maybe I'm being less of a prude than usual, but if it's such a natural event why not have more people you trust with you? I'm not excited that some of these people might witness me poop as I deliver (I know - ew), but I do think it will be a wonderful blessing to have all of "team tomato" rally around me.
Secondly, I like that the hospital offers rooms that the mom can labor, deliver, and recover in so that she's not carted around (unless she has a C section). The childbirth centers offer those rooms as well complete with candles burning, lavendar blossoms in a vase and a four-poster bed. I don't think I need a romantic atmosphere to have my baby.
(And also - I'm allergic to lavendar. Why does everyone in the altnerative health field think it's such a wonderful flower? As a massage therapist, I can recont several instances where clients thanked me for not stinking up the place with lavendar-scented oil).
One of the most controversial decisions we've made lately is to have people in the room with us other than the doctors and Mark. When Mark first began to think about the fact that I'd be squeezing a baby out of my vagina and that he might actually see that miracle take place, he was a bit squeamish. In relaying this piece of information to my mother she offered to be in the room with me and since she gave birth to me I figured it was okay to allow her. Then I thought more about whether that was such a good idea, but had already said she could join us, so I decided to look into a doula. I'm really happy we are going with one, especially if we choose one that has the understanding that I'll go natural as long as possible, but I reserve the right to opt out of the pain and get an epidural and whatnot.
By my count, that is 4 people for "team baby tomato" not including medical staff!
It seems to be a big issue on all of the pregnancy boards I lurk on. One woman even said she won't allow her husband to be there while she's pushing because he isn't there when she poops and both are private events. Others have said only the people that made the baby can bring it into this world. Maybe I'm being less of a prude than usual, but if it's such a natural event why not have more people you trust with you? I'm not excited that some of these people might witness me poop as I deliver (I know - ew), but I do think it will be a wonderful blessing to have all of "team tomato" rally around me.

2 Comments:
It's your moment - your decision. As for the pain medication - remember this, there is a point when it is too late to administer the epidural. So don't be too brave if you think you can't make it all the way. I can't speak from experience because I never had a labor pain because I never was in labor. (c-section). You are in control, no matter what, it's all up to you!
Hannah,
I fear I'll take after my mom and labor too fast for any pain meds. But if that's the case, I'm okay with it. I'd just like the option of having one, if I can.
Post a Comment
<< Home