Thursday, November 03, 2005

All the books, internets, and doctors suggest that after week sixteen sleeping on the left side is optimal for the baby. I don't know about you, but sleeping on my left side every night is not an easy task. Normally, I sleep on my back or my right side for some spoon action with Mark. Lately, I've tried sleeping on my left side, but I always feel a hardness in my stomach and think I'm sleeping ON the baby so I switch over to my right side (again, not the optimal side, but better than sleeping on my stomach which the experts forbid, because I'll brain damage my baby or something). I've told Mark I'm supposed to sleep on my left side and being the light sleeper that he is, he often yells* "LEFT SIDE! LEFT SIDE!" if he happens to notice I'm in any other position.
I just can't get comfortable and I'm not even big and fat yet.

*he says he gently whispers this, but I doubt it.

5 Comments:

Blogger JulieBee said...

Just when you didn't need another book telling you what to do, you can laugh at the irony of this, from one of my family development books: "As contributors to the growing body of expert opinion, we would hasten to add that we have no quarrel with listening to expert opinion, but rather with the dogmatism of some of the advice given. Parents begin to feel their own judgments are not to be trusted.... The best advice that we can give to parents is to throw away their how-to-parent books and simply become real persons to their children."

4:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This whole sleeping on the left side business is going to be hard for me too. I'm a stomach sleeper and clearly that won't work forever (though I still do it now).

I switched sides of the bed with my husband to make our spooning work out better if I lie on my left side. But I wake up on my back and right side most often--which of course freaks me out a little bit. These books really are pretty terrifying, eh?

Your Preggo Buddy.

8:04 AM  
Blogger Swiftyjess said...

Blue shoes,
I thik it's funny that the authors took a whole paragraph just to make the last point. :-)

YPB
Have you tried putting a pillow between your knees like the "experts" suggest? It doesn't seem to work for me. I feel like I'm wearing a diaper.

10:57 AM  
Blogger Swiftyjess said...

p.s. Being the massage therapist that, I am I have to point out that stomach sleeping is a major cause of back pain. I'm just sayin'...

11:00 AM  
Blogger Hannah said...

I slept on my right side for most of my pregnancy - it just happened that way. Ian is perfect and smart and cute :) Although the night before I delivered I was all checked into the hospital and the nurses totally yelled at me for being on my right side and made me switch.

4:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home