Thursday, January 26, 2006

Inspired by my self-proclaimed hypochondriac friend, I went to the doctor today to make sure I didn't have an infection or was leaking amniotic fluid. It turns out, I do have an infection. Apparently, it's a common infection treated easily with anti-biotics. When I went to pick up my prescription the pharmacist reminded me that I should NOT take this medication with alcohol. I looked at her strangely because I thought it was apparent that I was pregnant and likely NOT drinking.
Before I went to the doctor, my neighboor came over and asked if I could babysit her four-month old son for an hour while she went to a job interview. I did agree to babysit and it definitely did not give me confidence about my mothering capabilities.
The baby was pretty easy-going the first ten minutes as he was just waking up from his nap. Once he grew tired of his toys he squealed "I'm Bored!". I picked him up thinking we'd find a mirror so he could see his reflection. It's been awhile since I've been around an infant but I seem to recall that they love to play with their reflections. Guess what? It scared the CRAP out of him. He screamed until we walked back out into the living room. I then tried the classic game of "Peek A Boo" thinking it would garner a laugh or two. Nope. Totally the same reaction as the Mirror Incident. At this point, thinking he might be hungry, I warmed up his bottle. His mom said to feed him only 6 ounces. We sat down on the couch and I fed him his bottle and told him a story. He really enjoyed himself and ate like he'd never, ever had a meal in his lifetime. Trying to prevent indigestion I pulled out the bottle in order to burp him halfway through. He was having none of that so I allowed him to suck down his bottle like an alocholic and a bottle of gin. At the end of his bottle I knew he probably needed to be burped. I armed myself with a big ass towel (this baby is huge so I figured I'd get some big burps) and went to town burping him. (You know where this is going I'm sure). After a window rattling buuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrp I heard a splat! and turned to see he'd "spit up" on the wall, my new sofa, my hair and my butt. I have no idea how he got it on the butt of my pants, but he was quite successful. Quite pleased with himself he smiled. I put him down on his back and he played for half an hour contentedly.

3 Comments:

Blogger JulieBee said...

you'll be a GREAT mom! Look at how many things you thought to try!

11:50 PM  
Blogger Swiftyjess said...

That's sweet, thanks.

2:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, it looks like you passed the babysitting test with flying colors! A+ for you.

That burp story is hysterical.

YPB

11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home