Massage therapists do not make very good massage clients.
I had a pregnancy massage last night at the school I graduated from nearly a year ago. (A year ago!)
I remember what it was like in student clinic, especially the first few clinic shifts when a routine hasn't been established. I have to say the massage wasn't terrible, but I could tell the student didn't feel comfortable with me. By no fault of her own a few things came up causing the flow of the massage to be off a bit. I discovered that I really don't like the side-lying position for an hour; it's quite uncomfortable. I worked with a friend of mine who came to see me for pregnancy massage and I tried to massage her in a seated position. I think I would have preferred that, but it required several more pillows than each student is allowed and I'm sure I would have had to guide her through bolstering as I had to guide her through the side-lying draping anyway. Also, 90 minutes is too long for a pregnant woman's bladder to be receiving work. She did ask me half way through if I need to use the restroom and I didn't. I really really did about 5 minutes after she asked me but I wanted to receive more work so I held on.
I'm quite a patient person when it comes to massage because I love to recieve it. Last night wasn't what I was looking for though. I am glad I was able to support the school and help the student along with her training - and a 90 minute massage for only $40! Hot damn!
I have to ask - where does a massage practitioner go to receive massage?
I had a pregnancy massage last night at the school I graduated from nearly a year ago. (A year ago!)
I remember what it was like in student clinic, especially the first few clinic shifts when a routine hasn't been established. I have to say the massage wasn't terrible, but I could tell the student didn't feel comfortable with me. By no fault of her own a few things came up causing the flow of the massage to be off a bit. I discovered that I really don't like the side-lying position for an hour; it's quite uncomfortable. I worked with a friend of mine who came to see me for pregnancy massage and I tried to massage her in a seated position. I think I would have preferred that, but it required several more pillows than each student is allowed and I'm sure I would have had to guide her through bolstering as I had to guide her through the side-lying draping anyway. Also, 90 minutes is too long for a pregnant woman's bladder to be receiving work. She did ask me half way through if I need to use the restroom and I didn't. I really really did about 5 minutes after she asked me but I wanted to receive more work so I held on.
I'm quite a patient person when it comes to massage because I love to recieve it. Last night wasn't what I was looking for though. I am glad I was able to support the school and help the student along with her training - and a 90 minute massage for only $40! Hot damn!
I have to ask - where does a massage practitioner go to receive massage?

2 Comments:
hmmm... I know what you mean. Therapy students are kind of obnoxious therapy clients too. Priding myself (a bit too much, obviously) on my insight, I used to get ticked off when the therapist came up with something I hadn't already thought of -- even though, technically, that's what I was seeing her for.
My massage therapist did good work, don't get me wrong, but it was so different to receive a student massage again.
Post a Comment
<< Home