Thursday, December 29, 2005

I went to the hospital last night.
I didn't really want to go, but after feeling like crap for the last week, I finally paged my doctor to report my symptoms. I assumed he'd just tell me that I was having Braxton Hicks contractions and would prescribe more rest or something. He sent me to Labor and Delivery so they could do an internal exam (not so much fun) and run some tests.
At L & D, our baby was hooked up to a little monitor and we could hear her heartbeat. She was very active also. After the internal exam, which involved the dreaded speculum and a "knuckle sandwich" in my cervix (the nurse's description, not mine), the report came back fine. I am suffering from Braxton Hicks and uterine irritability. The nurse said I'm just one of those women that will contract throughout my pregnancy. I'm also anemic now.
I'm embarassed that we had to go, but relieved that the baby is okay. And on the plus side, we now where to go when labor does begin!
During the process of being admitted, I thought I heard an alarming cat-like sound. I turned to the nurse and I said, "Um, why do I hear a cat?" She looked up at me in alarm and said, "Honey, that's a woman in labor". Yeah, I felt like an incredible idiot. The nurse also reported that my Ob has his patients deliver on their side. Does anyone know how that would be beneficial?

3 Comments:

Blogger heels said...

It can save you some damage to your perinium (possibly) while still being convenient for the OB. Thinking back, I don't think I would have liked that position very much during pushing, though...

11:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A friend of mine had her later children with a midwife, and delivered on her side. She said she wanted to do it that way because she has lower back problems. *shrug*

9:55 AM  
Blogger Swiftyjess said...

My own post was lost on here (see bolthy you are not the only one the blog seems to dislike).
I read in my baby birthing preparedness book that a side lying position also helps those that have high blood pressure or suffer from acute constipation.

9:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home