Sunday, December 18, 2005

I am feeling guilty for eating poorly and not exercising as much as I should be.
My desire for coffee has come back and I find myself drinking less than a cup day, but not finding the will power to avoid it completely. Studies have shown that one full cup a day shouldn't hurt my little tomato, but I feel guilty despite that.
To balance out my terrible eating habits (I love me some sugary treats) I've tried exercising every day. Some days I finish a thirty minute work out, but most days I only do the warm up or cool down. My heart rate does increase and I feel a bit winded so I know I'm challenging my system, but by no means am I really exercising.
I don't belong to a gym so all of my work outs are done at home to various DVD's I buy, rent, or borrow. I'm telling you, the excercise industry does not make a good pregnancy work out. Many of the DVD's I've tried are only yoga or stretching work outs. I'm a fan of stretching and deep breathing since they are important for the body, but I don't feel like I'm accomplishing anything. I can stretch and breathe on my own.
I bought this DVD when I first found out I was expecting, because it advertises that it can be used for any trimester as well as a good post-natal transitional work out. During the first trimester, I didn't even break a sweat. Now I'm finding it a bit more difficult simply because I'm carrying more weight. However, it isn't a great work out as it's too repetitive; the 45 minutes consisting of a "sassy salsa" and marching in place. The instructor offers a yoga and stretching component which is a nice addition but not entirely useful. I'll have to talk to my doctor and see if he will allow me to do my step-aerobic work out, but with limits. And I need to get off my duff, don a hat, and take a brisk walk. That is more exercise than this FitMama work out.
Pregnant friends, I ask, what do you do to keep in shape while pregnant?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't done an ounce of exercise since I've been pregnant. And honestly, I haven't had much guilt about it--probably because I never even think about exercise in the first place.

It's cold outside, so I never think to go out for a walk. And the only exercise I ever did before was rock climbing, so that's out.

Sadly, I can't say that I eat very healthily either. But I suspect that you and I already had a much better diet than the average American--which is part of the reason I don't feel any real guilt about this one.

It's kind of funny that I've totally let this go since I basically fret over every other aspect of pregnancy, eh?

BTW, don't worry about the coffe one bit. I think things only get worrisome when you're having multiple cups every day.

YPB.

5:52 PM  
Blogger Swiftyjess said...

YPB,
Thanks for the help :-)
I do walk alot, or try to, but still I am packing on the pounds and really feeling it!
Most of my snacks consist of Rice Crispies or a piece of toast. I've been turned off of fruit lately, which I think is strange. I do try to eat a salad every day, sometimes twice a day.
I guess I'll keep experimenting with different at-home work outs and see if it helps.

5:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home