My OB office, as I might have mentioned before, is very casual. Today I showed up early for my appointment and expected to wait and catch up on People magazine reading. For the first in all of my appointments, there were people in the waiting room and in fact, three people waiting ahead of me and no chairs. I was the only pregnant one, but apparently obtaining a chair in the waiting room was a big event in the lives of the other women because none of them offered me a chair. I'n only a tiny bit bitter, I promise.
As I was reading about Nick Lachey's new love life, it became my time to be weighed, give a pee sample, and dress in a paper napkin from the waist down.
The doc told me my "final" weight gain was 41 pounds. I guess they stop caring at this stage about weight gain? Is that because I won't gain any more weight or what? Fundal height is 37 centimeters which is one more than last week. I'm estimating that to mean that the baby has gained length or weight. Anyway, the only relevant information I have is that there is only a slight change. I am still dialated a 2, the station is still -2, but I'm effaced ten percent more. (Now with 10% more effacement!) I'm sure for the baby this is equivalent to me saying "5 more minutes" when the alarm goes off. He did report that there was some protein and white blood cells in my urine. I did ask him if that meant pre-eclampsia and he said the levels he saw in my urine are consistent with this stage of pregnancy. Despite my feet being as swollen as they are, he maintains that everything is fine. My blood pressure is an impressive 120/72 (go me!) so I guess I can't worry too much.
On the way out, I double-checked with the receptionist (the one who said I'd gained 4 pounds in a week) that I had an appointment next week. She asked if I had tried any of the natural methods for induction, specifically sex. That's a perplexing situation isn't it? I decided to have the converstaion with her, but only to be nice. Yes, it's obvious at one point in time we did the deed, and clearly I'm an advertisement for that fact, but that doesn't mean I have license to run around and talk about it. (Ironically, I talk about sex here which is more public a forum than the doc's office. Oh well).
As I was reading about Nick Lachey's new love life, it became my time to be weighed, give a pee sample, and dress in a paper napkin from the waist down.
The doc told me my "final" weight gain was 41 pounds. I guess they stop caring at this stage about weight gain? Is that because I won't gain any more weight or what? Fundal height is 37 centimeters which is one more than last week. I'm estimating that to mean that the baby has gained length or weight. Anyway, the only relevant information I have is that there is only a slight change. I am still dialated a 2, the station is still -2, but I'm effaced ten percent more. (Now with 10% more effacement!) I'm sure for the baby this is equivalent to me saying "5 more minutes" when the alarm goes off. He did report that there was some protein and white blood cells in my urine. I did ask him if that meant pre-eclampsia and he said the levels he saw in my urine are consistent with this stage of pregnancy. Despite my feet being as swollen as they are, he maintains that everything is fine. My blood pressure is an impressive 120/72 (go me!) so I guess I can't worry too much.
On the way out, I double-checked with the receptionist (the one who said I'd gained 4 pounds in a week) that I had an appointment next week. She asked if I had tried any of the natural methods for induction, specifically sex. That's a perplexing situation isn't it? I decided to have the converstaion with her, but only to be nice. Yes, it's obvious at one point in time we did the deed, and clearly I'm an advertisement for that fact, but that doesn't mean I have license to run around and talk about it. (Ironically, I talk about sex here which is more public a forum than the doc's office. Oh well).

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home