Tuesday, March 28, 2006

I check the April baby board I belong to once daily. Lately, it seems that when I check three or four new babies have been born. It's somewhat alarming to me how many women are induced into labor.
When my friend Asanet visited this past weekend she asked me if labor started, because the mother's body was ready or because baby's body was ready. I told her it was my understanding that it was a little bit of both. In the case of prematurity I thought maybe it was more a battle over baby vs. mom, but I don't really know.
As I approach my due date, I've been doing more research on delivery methods (forceps versus vacuum extraction), particularly since I am supposed to make up some sort of birth plan.

Today, I've been reading up on inducedlabor. It seems so unnatural to induce labor and it seems that inducing labor results often in an emergency C-Section. I think we'll try every natural route possible to jump start labor before we decide on induction should I happen to go over my due date.

I need to add some things here. My friend Amy wrote to me about this post and wanted to bring to my attention that induction is necessary at times. She reminded me that
in the event that someone has a medical problem where getting the baby out is a priority like preeclampsia for example, I understand the need for induction. And after 40 weeks the placenta doesn't provide as many nutrients and so induction can be necessary. I felt compelled to write this, because I'm reading about women who are asking their doctors to be induced because they are tired of being pregnant and they've reached the full term mark (38 weeks). There are many posts from women who are taking Evening Primrose Oil and Castor Oil to move things along. These things are so dangerous unless labor is imminent and even then, is it such a good idea?

The baby hasn't moved much in the past day and a half. I know she doesn't have alot of room left in there to move, but I still get worried. When she moves often I know she's still okay and such, but when she moves very little I am not sure. Is she just sleeping? Hanging out in there painting her toe nails? I see the doctor in two days and can get some answers then.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home