Tuesday, March 28, 2006

I've been procrastinating all day. We're having some people over tonight for a special ceremony. We shy away from having guests over because our apartment is so small and full of stuff. Our apartment is full of enough things for two households as when we got married Mark had a fully furnished apartment and I had a few too many knick knacks lying around. Anyway, over the years we seem to add to our clutter despite my attempts to remove unnecessary things.
I am procrastinating from cleaning, because I become nervous that our apartment isn't good enough for guests. I tire myself easily, too so there is only so much cleaning I can do in preparation. Also, I offered to bake a dessert and I have a terrible track record of baking. I did buy a mix that I've used before which turned out wonderfully and I hope I don't mess it up this time.
We're having guests over so that we can have a "Blessing Ceremony" (I tried linking but the link is temporarily broken). This wasn't our idea, but an idea of Mark's parents. They are very much about rituals and ceremonys. Typically, this type of ceremony is for women only. Since I was blessed in having two baby showers I thought it fitting that Mark have a "shower" of sorts to welcome him into papahood. I'm not entirely sure what to expect at this ceremony. From what I've read a ceremony of this nature is as follows:
The participants gather in a circle to discuss their views, experience on labor, delivery and parenthood.
In a Christian-oriented Blessing Ceremony (which we are having - long story), a candle is lit and a short prayer is said.
If we are so inclined there may be a few scripture readings (we're hoping there aren't because I am not familiar with the Bible and I'd prefer that we have a ceremony that is more spiritual than Christian).
From there the guests will create a necklace. Each guests bestows a blessing for us and then adds it to a necklace that I can take with me to the hospital as a focal point during labor.
After the necklace is complete Mark and I share our "prayer requests" by writing a word or two with a pen on a votive. When we go into labor we'll call the participants and they'll light their candle and pray during labor and delivery.

I am fairly certain the ceremony will follow this protocol but I'm unsure. I am excited at the idea of having a small support group, but am anxious about the Christian theme. Mark's parents and friends are Christians and as they are the ones throwing us the ceremony I couldn't very well say no. I am happy that Mark will have something special to think about and experience before the baby is born; similar to the showers I had only without the gifts.

Because my in-laws and their church friends will be here I should definitely do some serious cleaning. I tried doing so last week in preparation for my friend, Asanet's, arrival. I succeeded, but when the in-laws visit, the apartment can never been too clean, right?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home